Population in Punjab is dominated by Sikh/Punjabi community. This article offers information on current population of Punjab state with sex ratio, and literacy rate.

Population of Punjab

Population of Punjab - The splendid state of Punjab lies in Northern part of India. Punjab is dominated by Sikh/Punjabi community with more than 57% population. Rest of the population represents Hindu, Muslims, Christians, Jains, and other communities. The Punjabi language also known as Gurmukhi is the official language of Punjab. Punjab is a leading state of India with agricultural production and per capita income. Jat Sikhs forms a larger part of Sikh community in Punjab. Their main occupation is believed to be agriculture and its related work. Population of Punjab is growing at a good rate every year from the time of Independence. The population of Punjab in 1991 was estimated to be 20.19 million. It reached further 24.3 million by the end of 2001. Around 20% of total Population in Punjab is migratory from other regions in India. The literacy rate in Punjab stands at 75% which is quiet descent. Agriculture is the main source of income of the people in Punjab. About 66% of the Population in Punjab lives in rural areas.

Another important factor related to Population of Punjab is its ever declining sex ratio. In the last 20 years, it has gone down very rapidly. According to recent figures, there are only 850 females per 1000 males in Punjab.

Population of Punjab

Current Population of Punjab in 2019
Total Population of Punjab as of 2019 is estimated to be 30,841,832. There is a descent increase in population figures in comparison with last year (2018) figure of 30,452,879 (30.4 million).

Population of Punjab in 2017
According to Population estimates released by Census of India, Population of Punjab was 30,045,949 (3 Crore). In year 2017, Punjab Legislative Assembly election will be held in the state.

Population of Punjab in 2016
The cultural rich state of Punjab adds around 3.5 lakh people to its population every year. Population of Punjab in 2016 was 29,673,462 (2.96 Crore).

Population of Punjab in 2015
With an annual growth rate of 1.4% in its population, Population of Punjab in 2015 was 29,288,557 (29.2 million).

Population of Punjab in 2014
Population of Punjab has shown descent growth in the last 10 years. According to recent estimates, there are 28.8 million people living in Punjab. With recent urbanization in many cities in Punjab, Urban population is growing rapidly in comparison to rural population. Population of Punjab in 2014 was 28,884,179.

Population of Punjab in 2013
With a growth rate of 1.4% (yearly) in population, total number of people living in Punjab in 2013 was 28,485,384. Population growth in Punjab is considered to be satisfactory as compared to growth in other states of India. Population of Punjab was estimated to be 28.4 million in 2013.

Population of Punjab in 2012
Total number of people living in Punjab was estimated to be 28,092,095 in 2012. Agriculture is the main source of income in Punjab. 66% of total population lives in rural areas while the rest 34% lives in urban areas in Punjab.

Population of Punjab in 2011
According to Census of India 2011, Population of Punjab was 27,704,234. These include males 14,634,819 & females 13,069,417. Overall literacy rate in state of Punjab was recorded at 75%.

Population of Punjab by Religion
Sikhism or Sikh Religion forms the majority of population in state of Punjab. Sikhs account for more than 60% of the total population in the state. Hindus forms the second largest community with 34% population. People following Islam religion makes up 2% of population in Punjab. Christians, Jains and other religions makes up the rest of population in the state.

What is the Population of Punjab
Home to majority of Sikhism followers, Punjab is currently home to over 30 million people India.

According to Population Census of India:
Population of Punjab consists of *
Sikhs - 57.69%,
Hindus - 38.49%,
Muslims - 1.93%,
Christians - 1.26%
Jains - 0.16%
Buddhist - 0.12%

Other religions - 0.36%

Current Population of Punjab

State /District Total Population Sex Ratio Density Literacy Rate
Punjab 27,743,338 893 550 76.7
Gurdaspur 22,99,026 895 649 81.1
Kapurthala 8,17,668 912 501 80.2
Jalandhar 21,81,753 913 831 82.4
Hoshiarpur 15,82,793 962 466 85.4
Shahid Bhagat Singh Nagar 6,14,362 954 479 80.3
Fatehgarh Sahib 5,99,814 871 508 80.3
Ludhiana 34,87,882 869 975 82.5
Moga 9,92,289 893 444 71.6
Firozpur 20,26,831 893 380 69.8
Muktsar 9,02,702 895 348 66.8
Faridkot 6,18,008 889 424 70.6
Bathinda 13,88,859 865 414 69.6
Mansa 7,68,808 880 350 62.8
Patiala 18,92,282 888 596 76.3
Amritsar 24,90,891 884 932 77.2
Tarn-Taran 11,20,070 898 464 69.4
Rupnagar 6,83,349 913 488 83.3
Sahibzada Ajit Singh Nagar 9,86,147 878 830 84.9
Sangrur 16,54,408 883 449 68.9
Barnala 5,96,294 876 419 68.9

Population of Chandigarh | Population of Amritsar city

* Data based on 2001 Census