Indiaonlinepages.com
Connect with us   India Online Pages on Facebook
Population of India
Indian States have witnessed a rapid growth in their population in the last 10 years. Get more details, facts and information on Population of states in India.
India Guide : Population of India : State Wise Population of India

Statewise Population of India



Statewise Population of IndiaStatewise Population of India - With a population of over 1.35 billion, India has witnessed a huge growth in its population in the last 50 years. According to estimates, India will become the most populated country in the world by 2030 leaving behind China. Population of Indian states like Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra and Bihar is more than many countries around the world. Uttar Pradesh, India’s most populated state is currently home to over 223 million people. Most of the states in India are very densely populated as compared to other places in the world, thus leading to danger of environment imbalances. Population growth rate of many highly populated states in India is 5% to 18% in a decade. This growth over the years brings an alarming sign for the whole nation as natural resources are limited in future. Government of India has taken several steps to check population growth in the states but with very little success.

Nearly half of India's total population lives in five states of Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra, Bihar, West Bengal and Andhra Pradesh. The population in the states of India is further divided into districts, divisions, cities, towns and villages. According to Census of India, there are 641,000 inhabited villages in India. 72.2 percent of India's population lives in these villages which are spread throughout the country. Remaining 27.8% of population in India lives in 5,100 towns and 380 urban agglomerations. In the last 20 years, the country has witnessed a sharp rise in its urban population due to migration of people to major cities. Explore details about 10 most populous states of India with their demographic details. List of top states of India by Population is presented here:

Top 10 States in India by Population


Uttar Pradesh tops the chart in most densely Populated state in India. According to recent estimates, there are more than 223 million people living in the state of Uttar Pradesh.

With a growth rate of 9.42%, Maharashtra is second most populous state of India.

Bihar with a population of more than 120 million is the third most populous state of India.

With a population of over 100 million, West Bengal is the fourth most populous state of India.

Andhra Pradesh
The state of Andhra Pradesh stands at fifth position, in terms of population in India.

Madhya Pradesh is currently home to more than 83 million people in India. The state is 6th most populous state of India.

Tamil Nadu is 7th most populous state in India with a total count of 80 million people in 2018.

Rajasthan is 8th largest state of India in terms of population. Its Population is estimated to be over 7.7 crores (2018).

According to Census of India, Karnataka is nine largest state of India.

Gujarat with a population of 68.9 million is the 10th most populous state of India. The state has witnessed a population growth of 19% in this decade 2001 to 2011.


Indian States by Population

Rank State or union territory Population (2011 Census) Population in 2018 (Estimated)
01 Uttar Pradesh 199,581,477 223,897,418
02 Maharashtra 112,372,972 124,945,748
03 Bihar 103,804,637 121,741,741
04 West Bengal 91,347,736 98,785,114
05 Andhra Pradesh 84,665,533 87,641,369
06 Madhya Pradesh 72,597,565 82,961,852
07 Tamil Nadu 72,138,958 80,288,487
08 Rajasthan 68,621,012 77,122,315
09 Karnataka 61,130,704 68,159,821
10 Gujarat 60,383,628 68,927,491
11 Odisha 41,947,358 46,172,447
12 Kerala 33,387,677 34,732,356
13 Jharkhand 32,966,238 34,149,478
14 Assam 31,169,272 32,652,597
15 Punjab 27,704,236 30,471,254
16 Haryana 25,353,081 28,237,755
17 Chhattisgarh 25,540,196 27,134,411
18 Jammu and Kashmir 12,548,926 14,591,623
19 Uttarakhand 10,116,752 11,453,488
20 Himachal Pradesh 6,856,509 7,234,695
21 Tripura 3,671,032 3,914,581
22 Meghalaya 2,964,007 3,257,373
23 Manipur 2,721,756 2,933,784
24 Nagaland 1,980,602 2,063,533
25 Goa 1,457,723 1,562,488
26 Arunachal Pradesh 1,382,611 1,511,873
27 Mizoram 1,091,014 1,156,288
28 Sikkim 607,688 656,328
UT1 Delhi 16,753,235 -
UT2 Puducherry 1,244,464 -
UT3 Chandigarh 1,054,686 -
UT4 Andaman and Nicobar Islands 379,944 -
UT5 Dadra and Nagar Haveli 342,853 -
UT6 Daman and Diu 242,911 -
UT7 Lakshadweep 64,429 -
Total India 1,210,193,422 1,349,800,854









   Population facts and figures




  © Copyright Indiaonlinepages.com | Contact Us |