World Population Day is observed to bring awareness about issues related to huge population growth around the world. 29th World Population Day will be observed on July 11, 2019.
World Population Day
World Population Day is celebrated at International level to spread knowledge about Population issues around the globe. In 2018, the day was celebrated with theme: 'Family Planning is a Human Right'.
When is World Population Day - July 11, 2019
World Population Day as the name suggests is an annual day observed around the world to bring awareness about Population growth and its related issues. With a population of more than 7.5 billion as of March 2017, it's very important for people on earth to realize and act on healthier lives and importance of small families. Started in 1987, World Population Day has gained much popularity with support from organizations and masses around the world. It also focuses on challenges presented by world of 7 billion people. Reproductive Health services are one of the main targets set by UNFPA (United Nations Population Fund) by 2015. So World Population Day is observed in more than 200 countries to bring awareness to people about importance of small families and living healthy lives. On this day, several programs are initiated to educate people about family planning methods. The day is observed every year to bring awareness in people about living a healthy life with benefits of having a small family.
World Population Day was first started on 11 July in 1987, the day world population reached five billion people. Many organizations around the world celebrate this day by arranging special campaigns and programs to educated people about global population issues. They are working closely with Government Organizations, NGO's and numerous non-profit organizations to spread the message.
World Population may simply refer to total number of living humans on Earth. According to latest estimates of United States Census Bureau (USCB), World Population is estimated to be 7.023 billion. World Population has witnesses a rapid growth in the last 200 years. Countries like China and India together constitutes 37% of the total world population. Also Asia with 4.2 billion people has largest population continent wise. It accounts for over 60% of the world population as compared to other continents around the world.
Growth of World Population
On 11 July, 2007, the 20 anniversary of World Population Day, the estimated World Population was 6,727,551,263. World Population Day or Five Billion Day is observed throughout the world in more than 200 countries.
World Population Day 2019 will be observed on Wednesday, 11 July.
World Population Day Themes
- 2017: This year's theme is “Family Planning: Empowering People, Developing Nations.”
- World Population Day 2016 theme was 'Investing in teenage girls'.
- The theme of 2015 was “Vulnerable Populations in Emergencies”.
- The theme of 2014 was “A time to reflect on population trends and related issues” and “Investing in Young People”.
- The theme of 2013 was “Focus is on Adolescent Pregnancy”.
- The theme of 2012 was “Universal Access to Reproductive Health Services”.
- The theme of 2011 was “7 Billion Actions”.
- The theme of 2010 was “Be Counted: Say What You Need”.
- The theme of 2009 was “Fight Poverty: Educate Girls”.
- The theme of 2008 was “Plan Your Family, Plan Your Future”.
- The theme of 2007 was “Men at Work”
- The theme of 2006 was “Being Young is Tough”.
- The theme of 2005 was “Equality Empowers”.
- The theme of 2004 was “ICPD at 10”.
- The theme of 2003 was “1,000,000,000 adolescents”.
- The theme of 2002 was “Poverty, Population and Development”.
- The theme of 2001 was “Population, Environment and Development”.
- The theme of 2000 was “Saving Women’s Lives”.
- The theme of 1999 was “Start the Count-up to the Day of Six Billion”.
- The theme of 1998 was “Approaching the Six Billion”.
- The theme of 1997 was “Adolescent Reproductive Health Care”.
- The theme of 1996 was “Reproductive Health and AIDS”.