Some interesting facts about Sikh religion are presented here. Know more on Sikhism Facts and Figures.
Facts about Sikhism - Sikhism as a religion has one very special aspect that the preaching of its founder are only the most holy scripture of Sikhs. These are songs and verses sung by Guru Nanak Dev ji that were recorded and complied in the form of Guru Granth Sahib ji. Know more on some of the most interesting facts and figures about Sikh Religion. Sikhism originated in India some 500 years ago and there is large number of Sikhs living peacefully in different parts of the world.
Interesting Facts about Sikhism
- Sikhism is a 500 year old religion and it is originated in India.
- There are more than 26 million Sikhs living worldwide.
- Khanda is the universal symbol for Sikhs around the world.
- Sikhs are living in North America for more than 100 years.
- There are more than 1 million Sikhs living in United States and Canada.
- Sikhism is the fifth largest religion in the world.
- Sikhs are known for their courage, hard work, peace and harmony.
- Sikhism is a unique religion with its own identity, rituals and beliefs. Sikh men and women cover their heads most of the time to show respect to their Gurus.
- There are two widely used greetings used by Sikhs "Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh" (The Khalsa belongs to God, Victory belongs to God) and "Sat Sri Akal" (The Khalsa belongs to God, Victory belongs to God).
- Sikhism is not linked to Hinduism and Islam.
- Sikhs celebrate Gurpurbs which are associated with the lives of Sikh Gurus. These are happy occasions celebrated by Sikh community worldwide.
- The first Gurdwara was built by Guru Nanak Dev ji in 1521 at Kartarpur.
- There are more than 200 Gurdwaras in Britain.
- Sikhs celebrate their religious festivals in form of Gurupurab. There are religious processions and free langar (free food) offered to everyone.