Check out some interesting facts and figures about Population of Maharashtra, India.
Facts about Population of Maharashtra
Facts and Figures on Population of Maharashtra - The ever growing state of Maharashtra is the second largest state of India both in terms of population and land area. There are millions of people living in various districts, regions and cities of Maharashtra. Get details on some interesting facts about Demographics of Maharashtra.
Interesting facts about Population in Maharashtra
Some Interesting facts about Population of Maharashtra:
- Maharashtra is the second most-populous state in India after Uttar Pradesh.
- With population of over 11 million people, Thane is the most populous district in Maharashtra.
- Total SC (Schedule Caste) population in the state is 98.81 lakhs, 10.2 percent of state's population.
- Mumbai with 89% literates has highest literacy rate in Maharashtra.
- Maharashtra has added 15 million people to its population in the decade 2001 - 2011.
- Six Urban Agglomeration (UA)/cities of Maharashtra are having population of 1 million and above in the state. These UA /cities are Greater Mumbai, Pune, Nagpur, Nasik, Vasai Virar city and Aurangabad.
- The sex ratio of Maharashtra is low as compared to national figures. Also there is a sharp decline in sex ratio in some districts of the state.
- 17 districts in state of Maharashtra have a sex ratio lower than national sex ratio of 940.
- The state is home to 15 million Muslims or people following Islam.